Saturday, May 22, 2004

Buenas Días de México

Buenos días!

Well, I arrived safely in Mexico City on Thursday afternoon, excited and nervous all at the same time. The airport is your basic international airport, except, of course, every sign is in Spanish. It´s amazing how much your eyes can take in at one time, all the colors and sights. I managed to locate a little store where I could buy a Latadel phone card and the bus station to Cuernavaca. The bus ride to Cuernavaca made me a little sick with all the twists and turns in the road and the changes in altitude (Cuernavaca is higher than Mexico City), but the views were magnificent.

Perhaps the most amusing this thus far has been the way that my English is deteriorating. When someone asks me what we call a certain thing in English, I find it incredibly difficult to remember. Clearly my brain is not gifted with working on so many different levels. In Chicago (my stop over city) my french was challenged as well when I met a guy from Madrid. Do you know what it´s like to try to speak to someone in three different languages ... my head hurt.

Cuernavaca is a really lovely little city about an hour and a half south of Mexico City. It is the vacation spot for many people from Mexico City and is called ¨Eternal Spring¨. The weather is absolutely beautiful and thus far the people have been very friendly. The birds however, are not so kind. Yesterday I was pooped on TWICE while sitting on a bench. My first lesson from Mexico - it is not wise to sit under branches. I do find it wonderful, however, the way that everyone and everything seem to constantly be chattering to one another. Sitting on that unfortunate bench, the birds were clammering on (I´m now convinced that they were saying something like, ¨Look out below!¨). And all around the people were doing the same thing. I love the life of this place.

My Spanish is already improving and while I still struggle along to speak, I am able to understand a fair amount. I begin my immersion classes at Encuentros on Monday so hopefully we can accellerate the pace after that.

Okay, now off to more Spanish-speaking fun.

I love you all!

Adios

No comments: